Jumat, 29 Agustus 2014

Movie Review: The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

WARNING!!

SPOLIER ALERT!!

Yeaaah.. This is what I do whe I'm too excited about something and have no one to listen. Gw udah whatsapp-in Uthie but apparently she's too busy cause she's on vacay with her hubby.. Gw baruuuuuu aja nonton The Fault in Our Stars.. Homagaaaah.. Super love the movie!! Filmnya ga baru-baru amat tapi ya gimana ya namanya juga sibuk, ga sempet ngikutin perkembangan film baru..



Awalnya gw tau ada ini film karena gw lagi nyari official MV The Radio Dept-Strange Things Will Happen di You Tube. Ternyata ga ada ya official MV-nya? Malah nemuin bahwa Strange Things Will Happen itu jadi soundtrack sebuah film. Saat itu gw ga peduli sama filmnya. Gw malah ga tau itu film baru. Gw kira malah film tahun 2000-an awal karena lagu Strange Things itu dirilis tahun 2003. Gara-garanya temen gw ninggalin link situs nonton film di PC, gw jadi liat.. Eeeeeeh.. Ini kan film yang ada lagu Strange Things-nya.. Ya udah, iseng gw tonton. Gw kira kisah tentang average teenage love story yada.. yada.. Sebelum nonton sempet baca sinopsisnya sekilas,

Hazel and Gus are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them - and us - on an unforgettable journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous, given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, based upon the number-one bestselling novel by John Green, explores the funny, thrilling and tragic business of being alive and in love

Oh, OK.. Ada unsur cancer-nya.. Baiklaaah.. Palingan karena dua-duanya cancer, paling ujung-ujungnya salah satu ada yang mati.. Emang bener sih tapi perjalanan menuju ke akhir filmnya itu lhoooo.. T____T.. Gw ga ngerti emang gw yang sentimental ato gimana ya.. Gw emang gampang banget nangis kalo nonton film.. Heloooo.. Nonton The Office pas adegan Pam sama Jim married aja gw mewek sama pas Michael Scott dateng ke kawinan Dwight-Angela, gw nangis bombay.. Asli lebay kan gw..

Gw ga akan cerita detail filmnya dari awal sampe akhir. Gw cuma akan rambling, melepaskan beban perasaan gw setelah nonton film ini.. Astaga ya.. Pas Hazel megap-megap lung Edema beberapa saat sebelum ke Amsterdam itu gw kira bakalan dia yang mati duluan.. Ternyata.. Huwahuwahuwa.. Kenapaaaa..? Guuuus.. Kenapa manis banget sih jadi cowoooo.. Adegan favorit gw.. Pas Hazel bacain eulogi di pemakaman pura-puranya Gus.. Sediiiiiiiih..

“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.” 

Perasaan kalo ditulis disini ga menyentuh sama sekali ya? Hahaha.. Padahal tadi sepanjang nonton film ini, gw mewek berapa kali, hahaha.. Serius deh, yang belum nonton, harus liat film ini! Pasti nangis.. Even ada yang review di Rotten Tomatoes, "you'll finish the movie dry-eyed and convince that person you're a psychopath." Segitu sedihnya ini film!


Oia, film ini dibuat berdasarkan novel yang ditulis John Green.. Seandainya baca novelnya duluan.. Ada yang udah baca novelnya? Kalo gw sih biasanya hampir ga pernah puas sama film saduran novel, adaaaaaa aja yang berasa kurang dan ga sesuai sama imajinasi kita..

Mengenai cast-nya.. Secara gw ga baca novelnya, gw sih asik-asik aja sama casting-nya.. 

Shailene Woodley (Hazel Graze Lancester) itu cantik banget yaaaa.. Ke-Marshanda-marshanda-an ga sih menurut lo pada mukanya? Perhatiin baik-baik deh! 

Marshanda versi Bule ga sih?
Ah yaaa.. Ada lagi quote yang gw suka.. Jadi ini orang berdua udah suka-sukaan gitu tapi Hazel nahan banget perasaannya karena dia merasa udah dying dan hidupnya ga lama lagi sementara Gus itu yang (saat itu dia kira) udah cancer-free tapi Gus-nya tetep maksa hubungan mereka lanjut ke arah yang lebih serius,

 “You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you. All efforts to save me from you will fail.”
 dan Hazel tetep nolak dengan bilang,

 "I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?"

Trus waktu mereka dinner di Oranjee dan Gus bilang,

“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.” 

Mateeeeeeek!

Dan senyumnya Gus itu lho, Maaaaaak.. *buangdulusuamijauhjauh*

Pas scene pertama Gus muncul kan gw berasa, "Ih ga ganteng" Tapi lama-lamaaaa..*matalopelope* Hahaha.. *lupaumurlupaanaklupasuami* Oia, aktor pemeran Gus namanya Ansel Elgort. Gw ga naro foto dia disini karena I can't find any picture of him that look appetizing! *lokiramakanan!* Asli deh setelah diliat-liat, menurut gw ini orang ga ganteng deh.. Tapi menit demi menit filmnya berlalu, sambil liat senyumnya, denger suaranya.. Langsung hanyut saya.. *kesungai*

Eh satu lagi cast yang lucu.. Yang jadi Isaac.. Namanya aktornya Nat Wolff. Ada yang merasa dia mirip Adam Sandler versi lebih cute? Hahaha.. 

Mirip kan sama Adam Sandler?
Isaac ini digambarkan jadi tokoh yang lumayan kocak dan menghibur, despite his Retinoblastoma.. Ga disangka, dia bisa bikin eulogy yang menyentuh banget di Gus' Pretend Funeral..

“Augustus Waters was a self-aggrandizing bastard. But we forgive him. We forgive him not because he had a heart as figuratively good as his literal one sucked, or because he knew more about how to hold a cigarette than any nonsmoker in history, or because he got eighteen years when he should've gotten more.'
'Seventeen,' Gus corrected.
'I'm assuming you've got some time, you interupting bastard.
'I'm telling you,' Isaac continued, 'Augustus Waters talked so much that he'd interupt you at his own funeral. And he was pretentious: Sweet Jesus Christ, that kid never took a piss without pondering the abundant metaphorical resonances of human waste production. And he was vain: I do not believe I have ever met a more physically attractive person who was more acutely aware of his own physical attractiveness.
'But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.'
I was kind of crying by then.” 

Pas Gus meninggal, ada narasi dari Hazel seperti ini,

“When you go into the ER, one of the first things they ask you to do is rate your pain on a scale of one to ten, and from there they decide which drugs to use and how quickly to use them. I'd been asked this question hundreds of times over the years, and I remember once early on when I couldn't get my breath and it felt like my chest was on fire, flames licking the inside of my ribs fighting for a way to burn out of my body, my parents took me to the ER. nurse asked me about the pain, and I couldn't even speak, so I held up nine fingers.
Later, after they'd given me something, the nurse came in and she was kind of stroking my head while she took my blood pressure and said, "You know how I know you're a fighter? You called a ten a nine."
But that wasn't quite right. I called it a nine because I was saving my ten. And here it was, the great and terrible ten, slamming me again and again as I lay still and alone in my bed staring at the ceiling, the waves tossing me against the rocks then pulling me back out to sea so they could launch me again into the jagged face of the cliff, leaving me floating faceup on the water, undrowned.”

Saat itu gw yang.. Daaaangg! Mewek tak terkira.. Gw kira itu udah klimaksnya.. Ternyata gw salah!! Di akhir film, masih ada surat terakhir yang ditulis Gus untuk Peter Van Houten, penulis favorit Hazel.. Or should I say was Hazel fave writer.. The letter goes like this,

Van Houten,
    "I'm a good person but a shitty writer. You're a shitty person but a good writer. We'd make a good team. I don't want to ask you for any favours, but if you have time- and from what I saw, you have plenty- I was wondering if you could write a eulogy for Hazel. I've got notes and everything, but if you could just make it into a coherent whole or whatever? Or even just tell me what I should say differently. Here's the thing about Hazel: Almost everyone is obsessed with leaving a mark upon the world. Bequeathing a legacy. Outlasting death. We all want to be remembered. I do, too. That's what bothers me most, is being another unremembered casualty in the ancient and inglorious war against disease. I want to leave a mark. But Van Houten: The marks humans leave are too often scars.  (Okay maybe I'm not such a shitty writer. But I can't pull my ideas together, Van Houten. My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.)  Hazel is different. She walks lightly, old man. She walks lightly upon the earth. Hazel knows the truth: We're as likely to hurt the universe as we are to help it, and we are not likely to do either. People will say it's sad that she leaves a lesser scar, that fewer remember her, that she was loved deeply but not widely. But it's not sad, Van Houten it's triumphant. It's heroic.  After my PET scan lit up, I snuck into the ICU and saw her while she was unconscious. I walked in behind the nurse and got to sit next to her for like ten minutes before I got caught. I really thought she was going to die before I could tell her that I was going to die, too. I just held her hand and tried to imagine a world without us and for about one second I was a good enough person to hope she died so she would never know that I was going, too. But then I wanted more time so we could fall in love. I got my wish, I suppose. I left my scar. What else? She is so beautiful. You don't get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her. You don't get to choose the ones you hurtin this world, but you do have some say in who hurrts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers. 
I do, I do."

*udahgataulagimustikomenapa*
*nangisdipojokan*

Maaf ya kalo banyak spoileeeer.. Hahaha.. Now go watch the movie!!






3 komentar:

  1. Kebeneran sama, pas sambil jaga weekend kemaren gw jg nonton nih film, bagus emang.. Tapi ga ampe nangis siiyy, or probably karena sambil gw pause2 gara2 dipanggil kesana kemari ya?!? Soalnya emg lagi in charge di ruangan. Shailene woodley emg lagi naek daun tahun2 belakangan ini, mungkin lo bakal suka juga filmnya Spectacular Now yg punya lawan maen miles teller yg gayanya bad boy slengean tapi babyface nya lovable banget, dan pastinya Divergent yg udah ga diragukan lagi kerennya. Tapi bytheway, sebagai pecinta film drama sejati, film2 hasil karya sutradara Joe Wright tetep jadi faforit gw, ever.

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Ah ya.. Kata ade gw Spectacular Now juga bagus.. Boleh deh nanti coba ditonton, hehehe..

      Hapus